Applying scientific methods and evidence to health systems to improve quality of care.
Where we’re going!
Improving patient care and reducing preventable harm takes a community.
Following on from the Best Care…Always! Campaign, people and organizations are working to sustain the gains to prevent hospital-acquired infections and improve other priority areas in quality and safety. We want to connect you to other improvers and organizations here. We offer free access to improvement resources (learning session content, getting started guides, scientific abstracts, keynote presentations), and news. Tell us what you think priorities for improvement should be and how you would like to help.
We’re excited - about what we’ve done!
During the campaign many South African hospitals reduced preventable harm in the BCA focus areas and successfully applied improvement methods to other problems.
- Red Cross Childrens’ Hospital reduced ventilator-associated pneumonia by 70% (2011-2012).
- Med-Surg ICU @ Groote Schuur Hospital >400 days without a catheter-associated central line infection (2011-2012).
- Mowbray Maternity Hospital reduced readmissions for septic caesarean section by 73% (2011-2012).
- From 2014 to 2011 Netcare hospital group reduced CLABSI from 2.25 to 0.9 per 1000 catheter-days1.
- MediClinic hospital group reduced CAUTI by 42.4% to 2.9 per 1000 catheter-days2 from 2011 to 2015.
- Between 2011-2015, Life Healthcare group reduced SSI 46.8%3.
BCA Focus Areas
Systematic, evidence-based approaches to HAI reduction, antibiotic stewardship and other focus areas.
The Improvement Community
Shared learning is a powerful force for improvement
Hospitals and other health care organisations are working hard to improve safety, effectiveness, timeliness, efficiency, person-centeredness and equity.
BCA campaign content to get you started on preventing HAIs and doing antibiotic stewardship, with basic and more advanced materials from Learning Sessions, keynote presentations, abstracts and various documents from 2009-2015. Some of this is useful in original form, some may need updating based on new evidence and/or adaptation to your circumstances. Please use judgment and talk to the experts.
Local and international improvers – experts and beginners, organisations (e.g. IHI, ISQuA, Lean Institute Africa), provincial and corporate quality professionals, and other individuals and groups working in BCA focus areas.
We thank our generous sponsors!